We’ve been notified of another exciting opportunity for Yorkshire based writers. The play submission window at West Yorkshire Playhouse has just closed but as one door closes another opens…
Sheffield Theatres – 4×15
Sheffield Theatres are looking for Yorkshire-based early-career writers for exciting new writing initiative 4×15. Our Joint Artistic Director James started his career at Sheffield Theatres and we worked with them on our first Roundabout season back in 2011. We can’t recommend working with them enough.
Sheffield Theatres has a national reputation for developing exceptional new work and wants to continue supporting local emerging writers, directors, and actors through projects that respond to their main stage productions. They believe these opportunities are vital for early career practitioners to develop connections and confidence in their craft. They are particularly interested in hearing from underrepresented voices.
4×15 will bring together four early-career writers and two movement directors to develop fifteen-minute plays for the Crucible Studio Theatre.
Ten applicants will be shortlisted to meet with Sheffield Theatres and receive a series of stimuli inspired by the upcoming production of ‘Everybody’s Talking About Jamie’. Shortlisted writers will be asked to produce treatments of their planned scripts from which four will be selected.
The selected four writers will work to develop their plays and see them professionally debuted in the Studio Theatre in early April 2017.
Sheffield Theatres will provide:
- Dramaturgical support from two directors to mentor you through the development of your work
- Having your play performed by professional actors in the Studio Theatre
- Networking opportunities with other writers and industry contacts
- The opportunity to explore the value of incorporating a Movement Director into the creative process
This project demands tight turnarounds and you must be able to commit to the schedule as detailed below:
- You must be available to attend an initial meeting with other shortlisted writers on Wednesday 4th January 2017
- 13th January – Treatment deadline
- 16th January – Selection of four writers to continue development
- 8th February – First draft deadline
- 14th February – Development day: dramaturgical meetings, performance of ‘Everybody’s Talking about Jamie’ and Talkback
- 24th February – Second draft deadline (character requirements to be confirmed)
- 17th March – Final draft deadline
- You should also be available as discussed with your director during rehearsals from Tuesday 28th March
- The performances will take place on Wednesday 5th and Thursday 6th April 2017
Each of our four writers will receive a one-off fee of £300 for their work on the productions.
How to apply
Send a copy of your CV, a cover letter explaining your interest in this project and how it will help you to develop your craft, and a sample of your previous writing for the stage.
Applications to be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 21st December at 5pm.
Not based in Yorkshire?
We accept unsolicited scripts year round. All the information about submissions is available here. We look forward to hearing from you.